40k Chronicles: Salamanders Devastator Squad.

Used without permission.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since my last post and a lot has been going on that’s prevented me from getting to work on some painting. I’m currently a part of 2 campaigns… one for Warhammer 40k and another for WarmaHordes. Actually playing in those campaigns takes up a good amount of my time and then there’s also the NFL playoffs and another venture that I just began: Star Wars: The Old Republic. Man… it’s an awesome game and I’ve put some of my time into that as well. So now I’m having to find a balance between several things that I enjoy doing…

So yesterday morning I decided that I’m going to begin working on my Salamanders. I’ve been looking at some articles online about Salamanders and it’s always been an army that has intrigued me. I like the color scheme and their fluff. So after perusing some other sites and borrowing a few ideas on how to paint these guys I set to work on my first unit for them: A Devastator Squad. If you’re like me, I don’t really think about how well the unit will perform during the course of a game… rather, I really like the models and that’s how I go about creating my army. So the plan right now is to create about 1,500 points worth of Salamanders, using what I already have.

I’ll post the list at another time but from what I can tell it’s not going to be very competitive, which is ok with me. I am really looking forward to just having a painted Salamanders army. Seriously, it’s been about 5 years that I’ve said I’m going to paint a Salamanders army so now that I’m actually doing it is a relief! So without getting into too much detail I have 3 Tac Squads, 1 unit of Assault Termies, A land speeder Typhoon, a Rhino, and a Dreadnought… and I think an Assault Squad. So the Dev squad was the first to be painted.

Like I said, I don’t really care about how it’ll do on the field, I really just enjoy the models and for whatever reason, I’ve always been drawn to the Devastators. I think it has something to do with the huge guns they carry and the way they look on the battlefield. Also, the stories indicate that a SM Brother that carries a Devastator weapon into battle is highly regarded as a seasoned veteran to his battle brothers. The sound of that makes it very cool. So anyways, I decided to go with 2 Lascannons, a Missile Launcher, and a Plasma Cannon. The Sergeant (not pictured… he’s next…) will have a Storm Bolter and a Power Fist.

I went with flames on the left shoulder pads of the SMs. I tried to paint the Salamander Icon on there at first but I decided that doing that for the entire army would be tough for me as I’m not a very skilled painter in that regard. A lot of the Salamanders fluff has to do with their home planet and it tells of how there’s volcanoes and hot magma and all that good stuff. So I have some ideas in mind of some conversions that I plan on doing (having plenty of LM bits might come in handy here!) I went with the standard “triangle” marking for the Dev squad on the right shoulder pad.

Here’s some pics and I’ll apologize in advance for some of the blurriness and lack of lighting… I took these last night when the sun had already gone down so they’re not the best quality. As I said earlier, the sergeant is coming up next and I’ll hopefully be able to knock him out tonight. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

Advertisements

40K Chronicles: Converted Space Marine Librarian.

So I was rummaging through some old stuff and came across this converted Space Marine Librarian that I put together about 4 – 5 years ago. He was originally intended to be in my Blood Angels army but after I did away with that project I kept him and he was transferred to a new chapter: The Salamanders. Once I get my Deathwing painted (next in line!) then I’m going to move onto Cygnar, Beastmen, O&G’s and then somewhere in there I’ll finally get to painting my Salamanders army. So anyways, this Librarian was a result of me wanting to do a little conversion work because I don’t like the looks of some of the librarian models. I also like having a Librarian in my army because the distinct blue armour that they wear makes them stand out from the rest of the army and shows their rank within it. Also, they’re not bad characters that can do some considerable damage if used correctly.

 

I used the SM commander kit and some spare things I had laying around. The two wires that run from his backpack to his helmet are pieces of used guitar string. Simple and effective way to really bring out a model, I think. I found the two books from a bits box and decided to add them onto the model, really helps to drive home the “Librarian” theme. I scratch built the weapon / scepter / staff / whatever out of some spare bits and I used plasticard for the little piece on top. Green stuff was used for the gems that are at the ends. After looking back over the model I have decided to go back and remove the left arm because 1) I did a crappy job painting it and 2) My sculpting skills are much better now so I want to upgrade it to a much better looking arm. That’s next in line for when I start working on the Salamanders. Lastly, I took small pieces of plasticard and put them in the joints of the model and even on the bottom of the feet to make it appear bigger.

Converted SM Librarian.

Anyways, just wanted to share an old model that I remember converting and actually enjoyed. It’s still one of my favorite models and I think some of the conversions on him really make him stand out. I’ll keep you updated when I change out the arm and get it painted. Enjoy!